In the last post I discussed the vital importance of scrapping traditional/brand based advertising for your business. Instead, I talked about the importance of shifting all your marketing and advertising to direct response marketing. What’s direct response marketing again?
In its simplest form, direct response marketing is advertising that ALWAYS contains a special offer with a deadline. It’s advertising that has the objective of motivating prospects to take action immediately. Direct response marketing directly sells a product or service by containing an irresistible offer – it doesn’t just talk about what you sell with no reason to take action now.
Using direct response marketing, you can tell within a day or a week of running an ad exactly how effective it was. You can tweak successful ads to try and make them more successful, and scrap the dud ads that aren’t pulling a response. No more guesswork. This way, every one of your marketing dollars can be ruthlessly tracked and held accountable.
For examples of direct response marketing think of home shopping channels like QVC, or catalog marketers like J Peterman, and Cabela’s. It doesn’t matter what kind of business you’re in – whether you offer legal services or sell tires for a living – direct response marketing WILL work for your business. In fact it’s the missing ingredient required for a major marketing break through.
As promised in the last post, here are the essential ingredients you must include in your marketing to ensure it’s a direct response advert, not a brand/traditional advert:
An irresistible offer or offers
- A deadline for response
- Clear instructions on what they need to do to respond (e.g. To place your order call our customer service department at xxx-xxx-xxxx or fax your order to...etc.)
- A bold guarantee that reverses the risk for your prospects
- Strong sales copy that talks about benefits, not features (e.g. Feature: This drill has 21 different speeds. Benefit: You can get your work done in half the time)
- Testimonials from customers that overcome your prospect’s main objections
- Follow up. Don’t just mail one piece or send out one letter – use ideally a three-step follow up process
I go into more detail about each of these steps in the Client Stampede Ultimate Home Study Kit and show you exactly how to apply these to your business, including done-for-you templates that you can “swipe and deploy” to use in your own business.
The information contained in this blog post is pure gold! Many, many fortunes have been made based on applying just these 7 principals! These principals will work for you too!
Print out this blog post and pin it to the wall so you can refer to this information often!